IAS 16 : Land and buildings

Land and buildings


Land and buildings are separable assets, and are accounted for separately, even when they are acquired together.

Though there are some exceptions, such as quarries and sites used for landfill, land has an unlimited useful life and therefore is not depreciated.

Buildings have a limited useful life, and therefore are depreciable assets. An increase in the value of the land on which a building stands does not affect the determination of the depreciable amount of the building.

EXAMPLE land and building
You buy a building including the land. The price is split between the land
$1 mln. and the building $0,2 mln. You depreciate the building over 20 years, at $10.000 per year. The land is not depreciated.
4 years later, the land is revalued at $1.4. The building continues to be depreciated, despite the land’s revaluation surplus.

I/B
DR
CR
Property, plant & equipment (land)
B
$1 mln

Property, plant & equipment (building)
B
$0,2 mln

Cash
B

$1,2 mln
This records buying the property



Depreciation
I
10.000

Accumulated depreciation
B

10.000
Annual depreciation of the building




Land cost

If the cost of land includes the costs of site dismantlement, removal and restoration, the restoration cost portion of the land asset is depreciated over the period of benefits obtained by incurring those costs.

EXAMPLE non-depreciation of land
You buy a piece of land for a security complex. The price is $1 mln.

I/B
DR
CR
Property, plant & equipment (land)
B
$1 mln

Cash
B

$1 mln
This records the buying of the property




The preparation for the security complex costs $0.1 mln, and the restoration at the end of the project will cost $0.3 mln.


I/B
DR
CR
Property, plant & equipment (land)
B
$0,4 mln

Cash
B

$0,1 mln
Provision for restoration
B

$0,3 mln
This records the preparation and provision for restoration of the property




The calculation for the provision is covered in IAS 37 and will be the net present value of the liability.

The security complex will have an economic life of 20 years, after which the land will be redeveloped for other purposes. The preparation and restoration costs totaling $0,4 mln should be depreciated over the 20 year life of the security complex.


I/B
DR
CR
Depreciation
I
5.000

Provision for restoration
B
15.000

Accumulated depreciation
B

20.000
Annual depreciation of the preparation and provision for restoration of the property




The $1 mln. cost of the land should not be depreciated, if its value is sustained over that period, and it will be worth $1 mln. at the end of the period, after restoration.

In some cases, the land itself may have a limited useful life, in which case it is depreciated in a manner that reflects the benefits to be derived from it.

If the land is leased, under a finance lease, its useful life is limited to that of the lease. (If there is a purchase option at the end of the lease, the same approach will apply only if the purchase option will not be exercised.


EXAMPLES depreciation of land
You buy a piece of land for shredding and storing confidential documents. The cost price is $1 mln.
The land will have an economic life of 10 years, after which the land will be reduced in value to $0,0 (nil) as the restoration costs will be equal to the value of the land.
The $1mln. depreciable amount of the land should be written off over the
10 year life of the mine.

I/B
DR
CR
Property, plant & equipment (land)
B
$1 mln

Cash
B

$1 mln
This records buying the property



Depreciation
I
$0,1 mln

Accumulated depreciation
B

$0,1 mln
Annual depreciation on $1 mln





EXAMPLES depreciation of leased land
You lease some land for a building for a period of 15 years, with no option to buy it. The value of the lease is $450.000. The first year’s capital repayment is $10.000. The land will need to be depreciated over the 15-year period.

I/B
DR
CR
Property, plant & equipment (land)
B
450.000

Finance lease creditor - current
B

10.000
Finance lease creditor – non-current
B

440.000
This records the lease of the property



Depreciation
I
30.000

Accumulated depreciation
B

30.000
Annual depreciation (450.000/15)



12 comments:

  1. How can we depreciate the land?

    ReplyDelete
  2. land has an unlimited useful life and therefore is not depreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM LFDS .I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with LFDS after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about:Le_Meridian Funding Service  (lfdsloans@outlook.com / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convince because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme of LFDS at a very low interest rate of 1.9%% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text +1-989-394-3740 and Mr Benjamin responded back to me That day was the I'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $400,000.00 Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today i and my kids are so happy and fulfill. You can as well contact them through email: (lfdsloans@outlook.com / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com)  WhatsApptext  helpline: +1-989-394-3740 Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victim of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Oleksander Artem from Horizon Park BC , Ukrain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for such info, as a student am learning a lot from you. Much aporeciated

    ReplyDelete
  5. Land for Sale, Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello everyone. Am here to testify how I got my loan from Mr. Pedro after I applied several times from various loan lenders who promised to help but they never gave me the loan. Until a friend of mine introduced me to Mr.Pedro Jerome promised to help me and indeed he did as he promised without any form of delay.I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until I met Mr. Pedro, who indeed helped with the loan and changed my belief. I don't know if you are in any way in need of a genuine and urgent loan, Be free to contact Mr. Pedro via WhatsApp +1-8632310632 and his email: pedroloanss@gmail.com thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not the switch statement, it's the implicit fallthough that the problem, using 'break' as the final destination in switch is just a terrible idea, it's ridiculously easy to overlook, even for a competent programmer, they only human just like us, i read all your blog posts which are so much informative and helping me alot regarding product knowledge. we are the real estate firm and dealing in parkview islamabad lahore smart city location capital smart city payment plan Blue world city Islamabad payment plan Lahore Park View payment plan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is a really good article. You make this information interesting and engaging. You give readers a lot to think about and I appreciate that kind of writing.
    Park view City Booking Office Rawalpindi

    ReplyDelete
  9. In terms of real estate industry, top agencies provides awesome output to assist customers in their investments. Being one of the top among all, we strives to provide quality guidance and consultancy regarding real estate mangement and solutions. Projects like Capital smart city and Lahore smart city are the theme of the company.
    see also: ASC Housing Society

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knowledgeable and Helpful post. I really appreciated your efforts. If you want legit and efficient services for booking a plot in Eighteen
    Islamabad plot for sale
    , Eighteen Islamabad payment plan please visit Regency Marketing real estate services.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Capital Smart City (CSCI) is a grand, state-of-the-art residential project in Pakistan. It is the first 'Smart City' in Pakistan and 4th one in Asia.

    ReplyDelete